Telus Corp. would seek direction from the government before attempting to acquire one of Canada’s new entrant carriers, Darren Entwistle, Telus’ president and CEO, told the Financial Post. In an article published Thursday, Entwistle said he views new entrant carriers such as Dave Wireless Inc., operating as Mobilicity, as “nice to have rather than need to have.” He said the company, which has engaged in acquisition talks with Mobilicity this year, would only pursue an acquisition if it could obtain regulatory approval. “Rather than go out and try to do something that is less than clear from a corporate development perspective in terms of the acceptability with the Canadian government, we would go and ask the government,” Entwistle told the FP. “If the government is supportive then we look at pursuing that opportunity.” Industry Minister Christian Paradis launched in March a consultation on what rules the department should establish for the transfer of spectrum licences, which would also apply to the purchase of new entrant carriers. That consultation, which closed last week, will aim to ensure the presence of a fourth wireless competitor in each region of the country to compete with incumbents, Telus, BCE Inc. and Rogers Communications Inc., Paradis said. The Globe and Mail reported on Tuesday that Mobilicity’s financial advisers have contacted “more than 30” potential buyers as part of its restructuring efforts. The carrier, which launched in 2010, had 250,000 subscribers at the end of 2012 and an annual operating loss of $74.3 million, according to court documents obtained by the paper. The company, which will vote on two potential restructuring plans at a shareholders meeting on May 21, had $70.19 million in 2012 revenues and $387.46 million in assets, as well as $418.01 million in liabilities, at the end of 2012.