The U.S. Defense Department says reports from earlier this week of a major purchase of BlackBerry Ltd. devices were not correct. A emailed statement Friday from a department spokesman to The Wire Report said: “The Department of Defense is not planning to purchase upwards of 80,000 BlackBerry devices, as reported in multiple press outlets this week. The coverage stems from a press release posted Jan. 16 by the Defense Information Systems Agency, which references 80,000 existing BlackBerrys in DoD inventories.” The Jan. 16 release from the Defense Information Systems Agency announced that a first version of its added mobility capabilities would be ready by Jan. 31. Along with the reference to 80,000 BlackBerrys, the release also mentioned 1,800 other devices, and media outlets including the Canadian Press and Bloomberg reported this as meaning 98 per cent of devices accessing the department's new network capacity would be BlackBerrys. The news was cited as a factor for gains in BlackBerry’s stock this week.